Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Gratitude challenge

It's incredibly easy to get caught up in life and focus on the trials, tribulations and what's lacking and lose sight of what we do have. I read a Quote on Pinterest that said "What if you only had today what you thanked God for yesterday". If that were the case I would only have Michael, Cameron and Tommy and sometimes my mom and my sister. It's not hat I'm an ingrate, I just find it painfully easy to focus on the things that I don't have or the things I'm in want or in need of. I am so richly blessed in every aspect of my life. So then why, day after day is it so hard to recognize those blessings? I would be absolutely devastated and crushed if all of it were suddenly taken from me.
I'm trying to be better at being more grateful. Last December in our Church's Ensign Magazine there was an article by President Henry B. Eyering that spoke to me. I encourage all to read it!

It is our choice to be grateful! We can choose happiness or misery. So why do we choose misery? At the end of this article is a gratitude challenge, which I tried and loved and recently I decided to retake the challenge and I'm pretty sure that every now and then I will go back and do it again.

Here's the challenge for all those who wish to participate....
I've added my answers for an inside look of my life....


Take a Gratitude Challenge

By John Hilton III and Anthony Sweat
Let’s not just talk about counting our blessings—let’s do it! Write a list of 100 things you are thankful for. If that sounds like it is too many, try this:

Write 10 physical abilities you are grateful for.
Reading, Writing,Seeing. Cooking, Baking, Teaching, Walking, Exercising and stretching, Smelling, Hearing, Cleaning, touching and feeling, emotions, Healthy body, able to bear children, playing with my children, The use of all my limbs,

Write 10 material possessions you are grateful for.
T.V., Van, Computer, Wii, DVD player, DVD's, Dishwasher, Microwave, Toys, Books, Couches, Table and chair, Glider, Beds,

Write 10 living people you are grateful for.
Michael, Cameron, Tommy, Mama, Papa, Kim, (all my family really)Jesus Christ, Grandma, Judith and Howard (Because they gave birth to Michael), Thomas Monson, (and all the general Authorities) Pres. & Sis. Apel, Pres. And Sis. Manwaring, all my companions and Friends I made on my mission, Briana, Alita, Heather and all those who have made a difference in my life (too many to count)

Write 10 deceased people you are grateful for.
Ur Omi, Ur Ur Omi (Paesch), Joseph Smith, Gordon B. Hinckley (and all deceased prophets both ancient and modern), Grandpa Bolokoski, Grandma and Grandpa Schow, Grandma and Grandpa Koski,(I guess all the family that has gone before me), the pioneers, Niblet, 

Write 10 things about nature you are grateful for.
Vegetable Garden, Trees with blossoms in the springtime, Flowers, smell of newly mowed lawn, pumpkin patches, Mountains, the Beach, Frosted Lanscape after it has snowed, Freshly fallen snow untouched, Animals,Butterflies, Gardens, The different colours, Spring, Summer and Fall,

Write 10 things about today you are grateful for.
Waking up, a good night's sleep, My Family waking up, My home, Food to eat, Michael working, bills being paid, My Family, clothing, My Foot, Kim helping out by providing work, My Body, internet

Write 10 places on earth you are grateful for.
Magrath, Bremen, Frankfurt, Mainz-Kastel, Koln, Darmstadt, Disneyland,Cardston, Nobleford, Calgary,Columbia, Anaheim,

Write 10 modern inventions you are grateful for.
Television., Movies and Movie theatres, Dishwasher, Vehicles, Baby Monitors, Airplanes, Video Games, Car Seats, Refrigerater, Oven and Stove, Microwave, Electric Lawn Mower, Swing Sets, Phones and Cell phones, iPhone/iPod, Electricity, indoor heating, indoor plumbing,

Write 10 foods you are grateful for.
Blueberries, Raspberries, Cherries, Apples, Watermelon, Canteloupe, Mandarines, Grapes, Fruit Salad, Chicken, Beef, Peas, Carrots, Celery, Cheese, Bacon, Baked goods,(Cookies, Brownies, Squares, Cake, Muffins, Fruit Crisps) Whip Cream, Ice Cream, Hamburger and Fries, Pizza, Turkey Dinner, Rotkohl, Klosse, Rouladen, Cucumber salad, Candy, Chocolate, chips, Potatoes and Gravy, Pancake Breakfast, Juice, Rootbeer, Salad,

Write 10 things about the gospel you are grateful for.
Jesus Christ, Heavenly Father, Holy Ghost, Chapel, Temple, Prophets, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price, Bible, Prayer, Ward, Families are Forever, The Atonement, Ward activities, Standards, Repentance, Hope, Church Programs, callings,


When we make a list like this, we discover that a list of 100 doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface of all the things God has given us.

2 comments:

  1. Good challenge!! We should all think like this, everyday! You are right we all like to focus on what we don't have rather than what we do have! For example, I want more money, but I should be and am grateful that I have a roof over my head and shelter!! Thanks for giving me something to think about and work on!

    Hope all is well with the Cobbs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not mean to say a roof over my head and shelter..that means the same thing...duh! I mean to say shelter, food and a car, as well as good friends and family!

    ReplyDelete