Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Weight loss diaries

Four years ago I was told I had become Insulin resistant and had PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) and was Insulin resistant . I was also told that unless I did something about my weight I would never become a Mother. This news devastated me as that was all I have ever wanted to be. I never was a skinny person, but I was fairly active which seemed to balance things out, I was however at my heaviest weight . I became incredibly focused and within 6 short months I had lost 60lbs and brought my body fat down from 34% to 17%. I was active, I was fit, and never in my life was I so skinny. I felt great. I worked out everyday and ate incredibly healthy. A year and a half after losing the weight and keeping the weight off I found out we were expecting! After 4 painful years of trying my dreams came true. I had full intention of keeping fit throughout my entire pregnancy and eating best to nourish baby. Life doesn't always happen as planned. I was put on strict bed rest, which means no exercise. And sadly fruits and veggies nauseated me. And I have to be honest I gave into EVERY craving I had. I gained all my weight back plus ten pounds. After Cameron was born I was determined to get back into shape, but everytime I would start a work out program (including just brisk walking) I would lose my milk. Breastfeeding at the time was more important to me. I am now finished nursing and am ready to get myself back into the game. I want to have the energy I need to be there for my Son plus any more who decide to come to our Family. I want to like my body again, I want to feel good about myself. I don't want my weight from keeping me doing the things that I want to do.

My parents took me out to Dinner on my Birthday. I had a deep fried breaded chicken sandwich on a white bun with French fries. I decided That would be my last "bad" meal for a while and that afternoon I went on a 5K walk with my baby group. The next day I used my Birthday money and bought a membership to biggestloserclub.com and bought some DVD's and weights.
To give me a little kick in the right direction ( I don't know if this was smart or just plain crazy) I signed up to compete in a Sprint triathlon,

I also started a weight loss blog to keep me accountable. It is private, but if you are interested let me know and I'll email you an invite. It was/is a little to personal to make public. I am a month behind. (so much for accountability) but it really helped in the beginning. At my 3 month mark I had lost 34lbs and 16.5 inches. Not too bad I don't think.


Triathlon- August 21, 2010 ( 6 weeks into my journey)

Today was Triathlon day!!!!! I can't believe how fast the last six weeks have flown by! This morning I woke up and my stomach was all nerves. My goal was 20-60-40 minutes (swim, bike, run).

The swim wasn't bad at all, My time 17 minutes 12 seconds. I BEAT MY GOAL!

The bike was hard. More mentally than physically! My legs did burn and there is a brutal hill at the half way mark that did me in, I rode the whole way though. At times I thought I was going to puke. Most of the time I thought my heart would pound right out of my chest! And a few times I had to stop myself from losing it, the tears just kept trying to come. My time 52 minutes 34 seconds. I BEAT MY GOAL!

My legs were jello after the bike and The first few steps of the run were difficult. My legs were protesting! I can't really call it a run. I can call it a jog though. Not once during the entire 5k did I stop to walk. the first 2.5 kilometers were a challenge but then I found my stride, maybe it was because I knew I was in the home stretch.
My time 38 minutes 10 seconds. I BEAT MY GOAL!

As I crossed that finish line I did break down. I DID IT! I survived! I completed a full triathlon, swim and all. I wept from relief that it was over, exhaustion and accomplishment.

No pictures, Because I beat my goal times Michael wasn't ready at the transition areas. And I'm not about to show the world my before pictures.




2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm definitely proud of you! That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your new weight loss program. I have been going to the gym during my pregnancy, and its fantastic. I am hoping the weight melts off afterwards. You are doing great..keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete