Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Money, Money, Money

Truth: I like to shop
Truth: I like to spend
Truth: I like things
Truth: I don't have a lot of restraint

I find shopping therapeutic, getting something new excites me! My weaknesses? What are they? Pre- Cameron:Clothes, Home Decor, Books and Disney. Post- Cameron: Clothes (for him, there are just too many cute outfits out there!), Home Decor (Pictures of my little man and frames to put them in. My house looks like a shrine to my little man), Books ( instead of novels it's now board books and parenting books), and still Disney (It's great no matter how old you are!).

So what do you do when you can't afford therapy?
Since moving down to Nobleford, we have had difficulties in finding Michael a job. Lethbridge closes their sidewalks at 6:00p.m. And until just recently Michael was in school until 4:30, who's going to hire you when your availability is an hour and a half? What about Fast food? The joke is this, they didn't want him because he was a student and wasn't willing to be permanent! Is anybody?
I had a job, and then got the news that I was expecting. I thought how perfect is this, I had been working 3 months, pregnancy is 9 months, just enough to qualify for Maternity leave. That is until I was put on bed rest. No pay during pregnancy also equals no maternity pay. Yikes!
Michael then found a job for the summer in which we would relocate to Calgary live with my parents for 4 months while Michael installed alarm systems. Thanks to the recession it was a slow season and Michael was layed off. What now. Back home, devastated. He found a couple of other jobs which turned out to be serious busts. Any of you who have children know Babies aren't cheap. Worth it but very expensive. Despite our decreasing income I still had to buy necessities. I will admit I probably bought some wants instead of needs but who can blame me I was a new mom to be, I waited 4 years for this.
After Cameron was born I was struck with Postpartum Anxiety and I needed Michael at home. No money is made when you don't leave the home.

So here we are. I ask again what do you do when you can't afford therapy?
You become very Creative!
There were a few months in there that we couldn't afford groceries, I became very innovative in the kitchen. One night I found flour, shortening, a can of cream of chicken soup, a can of tuna and canned veggies and made a tuna pot pie. To be honest it tasted pretty good.
What about when you want a treat? I scoured the pantry and found raisins, chocolate chunks, coconut, walnut pieces, peanut butter chips and oats. I combined them all and made cookies which were really hard to leave alone! Stale doesn't taste stale in cookies or maybe we were just aren't picky anymore.
What about Entertainment?
There was a movie we wanted to see, it had already come out on DVD but was still in the cheap theater. Going to the theatre would have been cheaper than renting but still cost more than we had. I then remembered that Michael's brother bought it, so we called them up and borrowed it. All cost free! We popped some corn and had a nice little date night while Cameron slept in his crib.
I am finding all sorts of ways to save money. Even though I like things I for awhile will have to hold off owning them for awhile. The Library is a great resource for books, tapes, movies, shows. And if you look hard enough you can find free programs for children. Or free events throughout the city. Concerts at churches, Museum events, Parks and recreation. You just have to look.
There are also services that would normally cost that you can find that are government funded.

Thanks to my sister we have switched to cloth diapers. That saves a bit. Diapers aren't cheap. And now that is has warmed up, the heat has been turned off,we are hanging are Laundry on our line and are growing our own vegetables

We are not starving and to tell the truth I feel proud of myself when I can say I didn't spend it even though I REALLY, REALLY wanted to.

I hope that this learning sticks and that I can pass it on to my children. Working for what you need and working with what you got.

After two and a half years and not finding any suitable work, Michael has started his own business. He has only been at it for 2 months and has made more in those two months than all his other jobs combined. What's he doing? He helps people like you prepare for the future. Life insurance, debt consolidation, mortgage loans, RESP's, RRSP's and other investments. He'll show you how to get a better return on your dollar and how to become financially free.
It has made a world of a difference in our Family and he would love to help it do the same for yours!

And last but definitely not least I need to thank my Heavenly Father for His hand in our lives. Tithing is a real blessing. Our money has been meager but He has never let us go without the things we really need. We do have food, clothes, heat and shelter. And somehow the mortgage is paid every month.

No comments:

Post a Comment